March 31, 2006

Everything's Comin' up IAN!

In the past week, I've finished one major project (my paper for Sociology of Law). That's a load off. Then, yesterday in class my prof. gave me a fantastic compliment. After I made some comment, he said, "Ian, I think we're turning you into a sociologist." That really meant a lot to me. I'm the only non-sociology grad student in that class, and as the outsider, I always feel a little inadequate talking about Weber, Durkheim, and Marx. I've never even taken a sociology class before this one. I'm more at home talking about theories of persuasion and media effects, so to get that comment from my professor felt like a real pat on the back.

In the same vein, I got ahold of a professor at UT who does restorative justice work and can train me to be a mediator. He will be coming to speak to my sociology class sometime in the next two weeks. He's also interested in working on a few grants to get funding to start restorative justice projects in NW Ohio. This might just be a perfect person to include on my dissertation committee, and a perfect forum in which to conduct my dissertation research.

Other classes are going along fine, and I've only a month left until the semester's end. I have myself a summer job, a new place to move into in August and a fantastic girlfriend. I want for no good thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home