December 06, 2005

"I'm Writing a Grant." & "I Met Someone."

These two sentences ate the month of November. And let me tell you, I HATE one and am SO thankful for the second.

Writing a grant is horrible. If anyone says they like to write grants, 1) They’re lying or 2) Theyre lying. Even masochists hate this crap!

It's like no other experience I've ever had. It's all this nit-picking, double space this, single space that, don't use envelopes, get this signature here, yadda yadda yadda. I would have totally preferred nice presentation on why my project rocks hardcore. Then they would have seen the truth behind the 18 copies of my grant application. (A tree-killing process, if ever there were one). In fact, maybe that's the whole point of grants.

They're a scam: They're created by logging and Big Paper to make people use reams and reams of paper in these intricate, elaborate, and (mostly) rejected applications.

Well, here's what it boils down to: It's turned in. It's done. Now it's the waiting game, which would be fine if waiting were stress-less and enjoyable, but, of course, it's not. I have this paper to write, and that portfolio to turn in and paper-X to present on this afternoon. So, that's what's going on in the back of this brain.

As for the nice, three-word phrase in this title...I think it's totally indicative of my current and future life as an academic. Now I get to balance being a researcher/teacher/scholar with a personal relationship that’s becoming very important to me.

So, I'm working on a grant, I'm busy with class, I have readings, papers, classes to prepare for and teach and into my life walks Gina. BAM! (a la Emeril) Totally out of the blue and it's great. People around me sound really hesitant about the whole (for lack of a better phrase) "love at first sight". And to be truthful, I’ve got no idea what next week or next month hold, but being with Gina feels great and it’s been a LONG time since I’ve had the chance to really be with someone so cool and smart and classy (and who can cook), and is bold truthful and real and is really close to her family. She tells a good story, and listens to good music (when it doesn't skip).

So, now I've got one grant done, and I ALMOST have one semester done and I ALMOST have a girlfriend. Everything's coming up ME.

2 Comments:

Blogger Banana said...

wow that's awesome!!! good luck! :)

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! Tell me more about this "someone!" So happy for you!

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home